In this blog, we will show you the steps to Installing Application on Windows EC2 Instance using AWS SSM.
- We created a windows 2012 R2 EC2 instance for this SSM demo.
CREATING IAM ROLE FOR AWS SSM
- Go to the services page and search for the IAM service.
- Click on Roles option and create a new role.
- Select the EC2 Service and click Next.
- Search for AmazonEC2RoleforSSM and select it. Then click Next.
- In the review page, provide the role name and description and click on create the role.
- The role created successfully.
ASSIGNING THE ROLES TO EC2 INSTANCES
- Go to the services page and access the EC2 service.
- Right-click on EC2 instance and go to instance settings and click on Attach/Replace IAM role.
- Select the newly created role from the drop-down list and click the Apply button.
- Go to AWS services and search for systems manager.
Note: By default, it will take upto 5 minutes to display your machine in Systems Manager.
- Click on Managed Instances under Instances & Nodes. You will able to see your EC2 machine on the list.
- To install third-party applications, click on the Run command.
- Under the command document, search for AWS-InstallApplication and select it.
- Make sure that you have selected the Install option under the command parameters section.
- We need to specify the Source MSI file path under the source section. For demo purposes, we uploaded rdman.msi in the S3 bucket.
- We provide the S3 bucket object URL in the source field.
- Select the instance from the Target section.
- Review all the selected options and click on the Run button.
- It will take a few seconds to complete this operation.
VERIFY APPLICATION ON WINDOWS EC2 INSTANCE USING AWS SSM
- Login into the EC2 instance and open the installed program list. You will able to see the installed application on the list.
Thanks for reading this blog. We hope it was useful for you to learn about Installing Application on Windows EC2 Instance using AWS SSM.