MIGRATE WINDOWS VM FROM HYPER-V TO AWS
In this blog, we will show you the Migrate Windows VM from Hyper-V to AWS
- We have installed Hyper-V Role on windows 2016 server in our Lab environment.
- Also, we have created an external V-switch which will provide internet access to the Hyper-V VMs.
DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL SMS CONNECTOR
- Open the web browser and download the SMS connector from the below URL.
- Extract the files to the desired drive.
IMPORT SMS CONNECTOR VM IN HYPER-V
- Open the Hyper-V snap-in and click on the Import Virtual Machine.
- A new popup window will show up. Click Next to continue.
- Provide the SMS connector folder which we extracted earlier.
- Select the Virtual Machine from the list.
- Select the Copy the virtual machine (create a new unique ID) option.
- You can choose the different file location to store the VHD files or leave defaults.
- Select the correct external virtual switch from the drop-down list.
- Review the settings and click on the Finish button.
CONFIGURING AWS SMS CONNECTOR
- Power on the SMS Connector VM.
- After a few seconds, the system will prompt for login credentials.
- Type the username as ec2-user and password as ec2pass.
- Run the sudo setup.rb command to display the configuration menu. Type ec2pass as a password when it prompts.
- Type 2 to reconfigure the network settings on this VM.
- Again type 2 to setup static IP.
- Provide the IP information for this VM.
- IP has been configured successfully.
INSTALLING HYPER-V CONFIGURATION SCRIPT
- Download the Hyper-V Configuration script from this URL https://s3.amazonaws.com/sms-connector/aws-sms-hyperv-setup.ps1 and save it in a folder.
- Open the PowerShell window and type the below command to verify the MD5 Hash.
Get-FileHash aws-sms-hyperv-setup.ps1 -Algorithm MD5
- Use the below command to validate the SHA256.
Get-FileHash aws-sms-hyperv-setup.ps1 -Algorithm SHA256
- Download the below files and compare the above MD5 and SHA256 values.
- Also, we need to check the digital signature of aws-sms-hyperv-setup.ps1 file and make sure it’s signed for AWS.
- We set the execution policy to unrestricted in our demo environment to execute the PowerShell Scripts.
- Now, execute the aws-sms-hyperv-setup.ps1 file. We select the option 1 as per our Lab environment.
- Provide the IP address of the SMS connector VM.
- Provide the username which has administrator permission for Hyper-V. Also, allow the script to make changes in windows system configuration.
- Script completed successfully.
CONFIGURING HYPER-V SMS CONNECTOR
- Browse the AWS SWS Connector VM IP through a web browser. Click on Get started now.
- Review the License Agreement and click Next.
- Provide a password for the management console.
- Verify the network configuration information.
- In the Log Log Uploads and Upgrades page, select Upload logs automatically & AWS Server Migration Service auto-upgrade checkboxes.
- Select the region where our migrated VMs to be located.
- For AWS credentials, we have created a new user and its members of ServerMigrationConnector & ServerMigrationServiceRole roles.
- Provide Access & Secret key of that server in the relevant section.
- You can create a new Access & Key through the IAM console. Go to users section and click on the specified username the switch to security credentials.
- You can create a new access key by clicking the create button.
- Choose the VM Manager Type.
- Provide the Hyper-V Host login credentials.
- Then type the IP of Hyper-V Host and Click on the Verify cert button.
- It will popup a new window, click on the Trust button.
- Make sure that you have selected Ignore Minor Errors
- AWS SMS connector configuration completed successfully.
CREATING IAM ROLE FOR SMS
- Open AWS console and search for the IAM service.
- Then click on Roles – Create Role option.
- Select the SMS service and move to the permission page.
- Make sure that Server Migration Service Role has been added to the list.
- We leave the tags as default.
- Provide a name and description for this role and click on Create Role.
- The new role created successfully.
MIGRATE WINDOWS VM HYPER-V TO AWS
- Go to Server Migration Service (SMS) and click on the connectors link.
- You will able to see our connector appliance that was installed in our on-premises environment.
- Click on the Import server catalog to get the list of VMs which are available in the Hyper-V host.
- After a few seconds, you will get the list of available VMs in your on-prem environment.
- Select the server to migrate to AWS and click on Create Replication Job.
- Desire the License type from the drop-down list and click Next.
- Select the Replication Job Type & Start replication run settings based on your requirements.
- Provide the IAM role name which we created earlier and click on Next.
- Click on the create button to start the Migration process.
- Once the migration is completed, a new AMI will be available under the images section.
Thanks for reading this blog. We hope it was useful for you to learn the steps to migrate Windows VM from Hyper-V to AWS.